Embed from Getty Images
International Council on English Braille Sixth General Assembly will be in Maryland in May 2016!
International Council on English Braille
Sixth General Assembly
Call for papers
Date: 15 October 2015
The International Council on English Braille (ICEB) is holding its Sixth General Assembly from Sunday, May 22, 2016 through Thursday, May 26, 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland which is near Washington, D.C., USA. We are delighted to invite friends of braille to submit papers for presentation at the General Assembly. Details about the papers and the process are as follows:
- The papers should be related to Unified English Braille (UEB) or braille in general. Some suggestions are:
- UEB research and results of UEB implementation.
- Research, education and teaching of braille and technical codes to children.
- Teaching braille to blind adults, including issues related to the computer-assisted environments.
- Technological developments in braille production.
- Tactile graphics: research into readability and cost-effective production techniques.
- Methods and issues surrounding braille writing.
- Challenges facing developing countries in the production and teaching of braille.
- The future of braille code monitoring and maintenance: what international organizational structures would best suit this role?
- Closing date for submission of Abstracts of up to 400 words: Monday, November 16, 2015. Late abstracts will only be considered if there are insufficient suitable abstracts received by the due date. Please provide the abstracts as Microsoft Word or text (.txt) attachments to Dr. Sandra Ruconich, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstracts will be assessed and selected by the Papers Subcommittee of the ICEB, who will advise submitters of the acceptance (or non-acceptance) of their papers by December 1, 2015.
- What to include in your abstract: To assist the Committee in assessing your proposal, please ensure that you address the following five points as part of your abstract of up to 400 words:
* Title of paper;
* Name(s) of author(s), including organizational or corporate affiliations;
* Contact details of author(s) (address, telephone and email);
* Key objectives of paper – up to five key points;
* Outline of paper.
- Papers should be a maximum of 6,000 words in length, exclusive of abstract, footnotes and appendices.
- A paper may be written by two or more co-authors, or by an individual. Authors or co-authors need not be delegates to the General Assembly.
- Completed papers are due by March 1, 2016 as Microsoft Word files to be sent to the ICEB secretary, Dr Judith M. Dixon, email email@example.com
- All accepted papers will be emailed to ICEB member countries by April 1, 2016 to circulate to all delegates. This deadline is so that delegates may read and discuss the papers with others prior to their attending the General Assembly.
- Presentations: As delegates are expected to have read the papers, each presenter will be asked to give a summary of their paper in up to 25 minutes, allowing time for questions and discussion to follow. A presenter is not required to be a paper’s author/co-author nor to be a delegate to the Assembly. The person emailing the abstract to Dr. Ruconich should indicate who is going to be the paper’s presenter.
- All accepted papers will be published in the proceedings of the General Assembly and will be posted on the ICEB website after the Assembly. Presenters will be expected to register and pay for attendance at the General Assembly.
Summary of due dates:
Monday, 16 November, 2015: Abstracts Due
Tuesday, 1 December, 2015: Abstracts selected and submitters contacted via email
Tuesday, 1 March, 2016: Completed papers due
Friday, 1 April, 2016: Accepted papers distributed to ICEB delegations via email